Area Manager -General
JOB TITLE: AREA MANAGER GENERAL
REPORTS TO: REGIONAL MANAGER
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: SUBCONTRACTORS
Department Purpose/ Function
Ensure superior customer service for Retail and/or Commercial locations by running an efficient operation in accordance with company quality standards, programs and procedures.
Manage and coordinate the cleaning services within the designated territory, to ensure the delivery of superior service and customer satisfaction in an efficient and cost effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Determine and audit the cleaning schedule as per the cleaning specifications in conjunction with customers, store managers, subcontractors, and night crew where applicable
- Determine the condition of each location to meet customer expectations and develop action plans to remedy possible deficiencies in a timely and effective manner
- Communicate and meet with customers, store managers, and subcontractors on a regular basis to ensure delivery of superior service and provide solutions related to day-to-day operations
- Follow-up with subcontractors to ensure deficiencies have been corrected and communicate progress with customers and store managers.
- Coordinate equipment repairs between subcontractors and Service Department and follow-up to ensure that machines are in good working order.
- Ensure subcontractors are using proper equipment and the proper cleaning supplies in compliance with cost breakdowns.
- Coordinate and oversee the delivery of services outside of the regular scope of work in alignment with Specials Department.
- Conduct monthly quality inspections with store managers/customers and submit reports to Head Office Administration by no later than the first day of each month.
- Create action plans and follow up on deficiencies as outlined in quality inspections.
- Build strong relationships with store managers and other on-site management staff and be the front line representative on behalf of UCSL within your designated territory.
- Respond to all customer concerns and requests in a professional and timely manner.
- Help subcontractors build stronger working relationships with night crews, store managers and property managers to achieve common goals.
- When replying to a customer complaint for ALL INDEPENDENT Chains including but not limited to No Frills, YIG, Valuemarts, the Area Manager of Operations must cc the Direct Report for all complaints.
- Submit monthly business-related expenses to Regional Manager for approval
Recruitment, Training & Development:
- Recruit subcontractors to competently perform cleaning services within the assigned locations and utilize the subcontractor data base for future needs.
- Ensure full completion of Hiring Packages and submit documentation to Legal Department prior to commencement of work
- Ensure Subcontractors submit WSIB/WCB Clearance Certificates in accordance with Provincial legislation
- Provide orientation and training for new subcontractors on company practices, work processes, cleaning standards, use of equipment and product, to ensure high level of industry expertise.
- Support on-going development of subcontractors to continue to improve quality and productivity
- Provide Health & Safety orientation and training on “Safety First Booklet”, WHMIS, Propane certification, as well as safe operating procedures for equipment and chemicals
- Inspect all locations to ensure safety compliance with respect to MSDS, WHMIS compliance, updated Safety First Booklets, provincial safety posters, provincial occupational health and safety act, proper protective equipment, and overall safety compliance
- Facilitate and/or attend conduct quarterly Subcontractor meetings to address common issues and deliver training as per Training & Development Protocols following the National agenda
- Monitor subcontractor performance and apply progressive discipline as needed in alignment with Regional Manager and the Legal Dept.
- Keep detailed records with respect to misconduct or performance-related issues; including photos and/or progressive disciplinary forms, where applicable.
- Prior to terminating a subcontractor, seek guidance and discuss options with Regional Manager, Human Resources and Legal Dept
- Develop subcontractors to their fullest potential and groom them for future growth within the company.
- Perform all daily functions in alignment with company mission, vision, and values
- Work in compliance with Health & Safety policies and legislation, and take every reasonable precaution to protect the health and safety of all employees and business partners
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures, and labour laws
- Actively participate in and contribute during meetings, sessions, or company projects
- Protect company assets from damage and misuse
- Perform other related duties as may be required from time to time
- Keep all company property, such as company vehicle in good working order. Ensure maintenance and cleanliness of vehicle is kept to company standard.
- Support store openings and renovations in your territory
Job Requirements and Expectations
- Be available to address Customer or subcontractor needs and concerns in a timely manner.
- Be willing to travel frequently within your designated territory or outside the province (as may be required from time to time).
- Ability to deal with a high level of stress and promptly solve problems as they arise.
- Ability to work flexible shifts on a rotational basis. The majority of an AMO’s time should be worked during contracted cleaning times.
- Administrative tasks should be conducted after store visits. If additional administrative time is required this should be cleared with your Regional Manager.
- Available to respond to customer and contractor requests on a 24/7 basis.
- Expert in floor-care and cleaning procedures
- Ability to manage subContractors in remote locations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Superior Time Management and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate proactive judgment in dealing with daily issues and concerns
- Creative and forward-thinking abilities
- Computer competency
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to exude positive attitude and promote a healthy work environment
- Ability to identify root cause and provide recommendations and solutions
- Post-Secondary degree in business administration or related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the cleaning industry
- 3 – 5 years experience in a supervisory role
- Equipment knowledge & maintenance experience is an asset
Please complete the application form below, ensure that your details are all correct.
United Services Group is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process as required by law. Upon request, we will provide accommodation for all applicants.